You wouldn't skip your car's Oil Change, why skip your boat's?
Keeping your Outboard maintained professionally will guarantee you will enjoy the entire season on the water. Outboards are put subject to harsh conditions and require very special maintenance to operate continuously. Running at 4800-5800RPM for extended durations of time, saltwater corrosion, and seasonal storage all put a strain on your outboard's lifespan if not maintained to the factory standards.
Keeping your Outboard maintained only takes a couple of hours each year and can save you thousands in unexpected repairs and priceless time lost on the water. The average boater uses their boat approximately 100 hours each season, which conveniently aligns itself with the majority of the manufacturer's maintenance intervals. Most manufacturers require the items listed below to be replaced/inspected/checked every 100 hours/one calendar year.
Outboard Service Checklist
• Anodes: Check and replace if needed
• Battery: Check connections and water levels
• Cables: Check for smooth operation
• Carburetors: Synchronize & adjust idle and mixture
• Cylinder Heads: Torque bolts as necessary
• Electrical System: Check for operation
• Engine Compression: Compare to Spec
• Engine Fittings: Clean and lubricated
• Engine: Clean any corrosion and spray with lube
• Fuel Filters: Replace
• Fuel Lines: Check for leakage, splitting or rotting
• Fuel/Water Separator: Replace
• Gauges: Check for proper operation
• Hours on Motor. Record on the service ticket
• Ignition Timing: Check and set, if necessary
• Lower Unit: Inspect and change the lubricant
• Oil: Change oil and replace the filter
• Propeller: Remove, clean and lube shaft
• Service Indicator: Reset Alarm
• Spark Plugs: Replace
• Thermostat: Change every 300 hrs or three years
• Water Pump: Changed every 300 hrs or three years
• Test: All motors are tested for proper operation
*Every Engine manufacturers specific guidelines for maintenance, these suggestions are for most modern 4-Stroke outboards. If you have any questions about them, feel free to contact us to go over your motor's specific needs.